The world of nutrition can get confusing. There is so much controversy out there on what the ideal diet should be. How are we supposed to figure out what is right for us? The beauty of it is that we are all unique individuals with different nutritional needs. What works for one person may not work for another. We have different nutritional needs depending on our health goals and our lifestyle. Taking an in depth look at your nutrition can be beneficial to increasing energy and productivity, improving your digestion and helping you reaching your health goals faster.
So, who should hire a nutritionist? Anyone! Whether you are a beginner just starting on your health journey or an athlete looking to boost performance, anyone can benefit from seeing a nutritionist.
A nutritionist can help:
1. Customize a nutrition plan specific to your individual goals. We chat about your main health concerns and goals, your likes and dislikes as well as get a feeling of what your overall lifestyle looks like. I look at your workouts, your eating habits, your home life, work life, stress levels as well as review a diet log. I take an in depth look so we can develop a plan to help you succeed and make this a sustainable lifestyle.
2. Accountability. It is easy to go off track when you are navigating the field yourself. A nutritionist keeps you on track and working towards your goals. I like my clients to check in with me at least every week to let me know how they are doing and if they have any roadblocks. Success is teamwork.
3. Get to the main cause of your symptoms. I see many clients that come to me experiencing things such as fatigue, digestive issues, and hormonal imbalances. It can be tricky to get down to the root cause but a nutritionist can take a look at the bigger picture and be able to spot areas that need more attention to get you on your way to feeling your best.
4. Optimize digestion and nutrient absorption. You are not only what you eat, but what you digest and absorb. Not absorbing nutrients can lead to thyroid issues, weight loss, iron deficiency, depression, dehydration and sleep disorders. I also like to look at things like balancing hormones and blood sugar levels.
5. Teach you preventative nutrition. Our bodies require different nutrients at different times of our lives. Solid nutrition is key to feeling your best at any age or time such as pregnancy, menopause or in the case of illness.
Things to keep in mind when hiring a nutritionist:
Check their credentials. There are tons of different nutrition certifications out there so do a little back ground check before you hire someone. Look for someone who you can trust and who you feel a personal connection with. I aim to make all my clients feel comfortable. There is no judgement.
Check to see if it's covered by insurance. Many insurance companies will cover nutrition plans so check with your benefits to see if you can get it covered. Who wouldn't want a free nutrition plan?!
Be prepared to commit. Commitment is key to reaching your goals. I ask my clients to commit to working together for at least a month. Changing habits takes time and patience.
I would love to help you get started on your wellness journey. My goal is to teach people how easy health is and to help you design your own healthy lifestyle. I have a gentle, balanced approach and will always meet you where you are at. I don't do extremes or deprivation. I want to make nutrition fun and food taste good, nourishing you both physically and mentally.
If you are interested in working together, please email me at email@example.com. I would be happy to set up a quick phone call to see if we are the right fit and review some of your current goals. I am currently taking clients at a Naturopathic clinic here in Victoria - Hawthorne Naturopathic Centre - as well as online and Skype consultations.
If you want to check out some of my program details please check it out here.
"You don't have to be great to start, but you do have to start to be great!"
Don't put your health on the back burner. It's all you have.