5 Tricks to Debloat Instantly
We have all been there. That feeling when you have to unbutton the top part of your pants so you can breathe. Maybe you went for a second helping of dinner or ate a piece of pie when you thought you couldn't possibly fit anything else in there. Luckily there are a few things you can do to get some relief!
Here are my 5 top tips for beating the bloat:
1. Don't drink water with your meals. Drinking water with meals dilutes stomach acid, making it hard to digest food properly. Also try to avoid drinking ice cold water as it can cause your stomach to shrink. If you need to, sip warm water or hot tea instead. A couple other tips I love are to start the day with warm lemon water (it's super detoxifying!) and also adding 1-2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar to room temperature water half an hour before meals. This helps to stimulate stomach acid and prevent bloating.
2. Go for a walk. Walking is an easy way to stimulate digestion and get things moving along. Incorporating a few yoga moves and deep breathing is also a good idea to help relax you.
3. Pop a digestive enzyme. I usually like to keep these handy, especially around the holidays. Extra enzymes help your body better break down food. I find these especially helpful after a fatty meal or eating foods that aren't typically in your diet.
4. Avoid sugar alcohols and chewing gum. Artificial sweeteners and sugar alcohols can feed the bad bacteria in the gut and are not digested properly. They end up fermenting and causing bloating and gas. So put down the diet pop, chewing gum and sugar free treats.
5. Consume soothing foods like mint, lemon, turmeric and ginger. These foods contain digestive aids that are soothing to the gut, help to relax the digestive system and reduce inflammation.
Give these tips a try next time you are feeling a little puffy or bloated! Try my favorite debloating tea full of ingredients that help to soothe your tummy. I love it after dinner!
Don't forget to tag me @miaharrisnutrition if you try it!
1 pot of boiling water
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
2 tsp turmeric powder
Crack of black pepper
2 tsp fennel seeds
Organic honey or stevia to sweeten (optional)
Bring a pot or kettle of hot water to a boil. Add all ingredients to a tea pot or a stainless steel pot on the stove and add hot water. Let steep for 5 minutes and strain. Add organic honey or stevia to sweeten.